Age 0 - 26 - left inguinal hernia
Age 16 - shingles
Age 19 - snapped left anterior ligament of ankle
Age 26 - first heart attack
Age 26 - second heart attack
Age 32 - L5 herniated disc
Age 49 - left knee miniscus partial arthroscopic removal
When I started running cross country in my Junior year of high school, I discovered I had muscles in my legs and abs. The definition encouraged me to become a better athlete. Because before that I was the kid always picked last and made fun of. So my buds and I started lifting iron in the basement. I have not stopped for much since.
I noticed in my late forties that I was not making any improvements in my workouts. I could not get rid of my love handles. I was still going to the gym 4-5 days a week for an hour. But nothing. My weight maxed out at 215 (I'm 6'2"). I had enough.
P90X was the start of my emergence from mediocrity. I did three rounds. Bought P90X2 and did a few rounds. Ran a half-marathon with my wife for my 50th birthday bucket list. And then I discovered OCR. That's when I became addicted to fitness.
By fitness I mean not just my physical fitness. I mean total health, Mind, body, spirit. My family and I eat over 80% organic and local. What a huge difference that has made. I have my wife to thank for that transformation. But my heart is in OCR. It is just plain fun.
If you're like me, you are an OCR nut, running in the master's division. Usually, that includes anybody 40 years plus. I'm now 53, in the best shape of my life, and loving every second. This blog is for you, to help you get there, stay there, and play there.
Sundays are rest, recovery, yoga, and foam rolling days. They are critical to your fitness. Don't skip them. Next blog, I'll tell you all about them.
Feel free to comment and connect.
No comments:
Post a Comment