Double Ropes

Double Ropes
My favorite obstacle

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

2015 Spartan Sprint Tuxedo Race Re-Cap

The 8:15 wave took off to the usual fanfare and motivation.  But the smokebomb was missing.  And for that I give you my sincere thanks.  It was not an obstacle.  It was a toxic health hazard.  Following that huge plus, there were plenty more to come on this perfect morning for a race.

That blissful state was almost ruined at obstacle #3 when at the top, some guy accidently kicked me in the face, knocking my contact lens out.  That could have been terrible trouble navigating the single track without stereo vision.  Fortunately the lens was still there miraculously and moved back into place.  A DNF for something like that would have sucked.  I guess I would have walked but…who knows.

By far the toughest obstacle out there was the terrain.  The steep, rocky, uneven single track was very technical and extremely fun.  And there were miles of it.  I’m glad I was in an early wave so that I could run this at full pace, not stuck in mule pack lines of the nearly 6000 runners who competed.  I learned that lesson last year after suffering a 20 minute delay at the last obstacle just because I had to wait in line.

There were a few new obstacles I have not seen at Spartan.  The rig was a three-section apparatus with an incline bar, four rope knots, and a horizontal bar.  It was difficult given its strategic placement after a muddy barbed wire crawl making the grips almost non-existent.  The Z-Traverse was also tough given its slippery placement right after another barbed wire crawl.  Kudos for that.  I slipped on both of these, did my thirty burpees each, and powered on.  They were my only two fails for the day.  Lesson learned – train with wet, muddy gloves.  Seriously.  Maybe I could keep my hands out of the mud if I could roll through the wire like other people.  But I get horribly dizzy.  Any suggestions?

There were lots of volunteers out there and most were vocal and helpful.  Likewise, the photographers seemed well-engaged.  Unfortunately, and this is my only negative, the fan viewing area was limited to the bottom of the course.  No chair life rides to the top.  Still, it was nice to have a few encounters with my support team down there amid the cheering throngs.

I enjoyed seeing some of my friends out there, and thrilled especially to see Charles “Jazz” Vassallo podium twice in a row in the elite master’s division.  There’s over a decade of age between us though and given the profiles of yesterday’s top placers, I have to wonder why Spartan set their elite master’s age beginning at 40.  In running races, that age is typically 50.  Heck, the top male open division finisher came in at an elite pace and he was 55.  Spartan needs to recalibrate their brackets.

The obstacles were well built, well placed, and well manned.  Some of them, particularly the cargo webs, were almost too good.  They were so tight that they were more like climbing ladders.  Loosen them up like they used to be.  Make them tough and challenging again.

Put a catch net at the finish line too.  After the fire jump, the track was so steep I had a hard time stopping.  It was also very rocky with loose scree.  So it was tough to dig in and stop.  I flew right past the guy with my medal and the people with the scissors who wanted to snip my timing chip bracelet. 


I loved this race and was very well prepared for it.  The tire drags all winter long in flat South Jersey paid off.  I shall return next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment