Double Ropes

Double Ropes
My favorite obstacle

Friday, May 22, 2015

Fear This

Sometimes recruiting newbies to OCR can be difficult.  One young lady assured me that she was a runner and was interested in doing her first mud run this season.  She asked me how to train up.  I told her to do "the Murph".  That was the last I heard from her.  Later she told me that it was just too intimidating.

What is there to fear about "the Murph"?  For those of you who don't know what it is, here ya go:

Run a mile.  Then do 100 pullups, 200 pushups, and 300 air squats.  Then run another mile.

I even explained to her how to break it down into doable chunks of 10-20-30 in series.  Then I noticed her funny look and explained how to break it down into easier moves by using resistance bands, knees, and all the other tricks that everyone can use to build up to it over time.  She was a no go.

Why did I suggest "the Murph" to a newbie?  Because, as I have mentioned many times before in this blog, those three moves are done repeatedly on the course.  The only change I would make is doing muscle ups instead of pushups.  Don't believe me?

8-foot military wall - squat jump then pullup then muscle up

Log hurdle - squat jump then muscle up

Warped wall - big jump then a pull up and a muscle up

Rope climb - lots of pull ups

Inverted wall - squat jump then pull up then muscle up

Destroyer (an ABF exclusive) - squat jump then pull up then muscle up

Shall I continue or do you get the idea?  Do "the Murph".  It will make most obstacles a breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment