Double Ropes

Double Ropes
My favorite obstacle

Saturday, August 15, 2015

M80

I like M80s.  You know, those great big firecrackers.  Kind of like cherry bombs.  They are tough to find, especially in a state where they are illegal.  I guess that explains why I haven't had any for 35 years.  Until now.

Last year I designed a training program for taking beginners up to their first OCR.  I called it M80.  It is a 90-day program built on much the same philosophy as the P90X programs that I started with.  The Beachbody formula works so why not copy it right?  Three phases.  Ninety days.  Gradual increase in complexity.  Work to get the participants over those difficult humps.  Lots of encouragement.  Form, form, form.  You get the idea.  You see me write about these things often.  They work.

M80 - that's Mud run training for 80 days in your own home or backyard gym.  Where's the other 10 days?  On the course.

I've been training my youngest son for two weeks now.  I've taken him through the basics and assessed his baseline.  Now I think he is ready for formal training.  He is hungry, motivated, and has set some goals.  In thirty days he wants to be able to do a pullup and a pushup unassisted as well as run five miles.  That's about where I was when I started fitness training about seven years ago as what Aaron calls me, "chubby daddy".

Aaron is my M80 firecracker right now.  As an autistic child, he has locked in on this training.  So that makes it kind of easy.  Because normally his autism side can make things like training extremely difficult if not impossible.  For instance, I still have a concern about mud.  Mud is unpleasant to him.  It can cause him to melt down or freeze, sometimes at the most inopportune moments.  Mud is a sensory issue.  So I will have to wait and see whether mud will dampen the fuze of my M80 boy.  That time will come in October when he will volunteer with me on his first OCR race at ABF Mud Run.  As a volunteer, he'll have the option to opt out if he does not want to do the mud.  But I am sure he will blast through all the rest.

Are you a OCR beginner?  Are you interested in formal training?  If you would like more information about the OCRMudmaster M80 OCR training program, please comment or PM me.  See you on the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment